Monday 26 October 2009

Get out of the bed! NOW! :)

I have a problem: I can't get up in the morning, I mean, I know I can, but it's really complicated when you're a night owl to find the motivation to change the habit of going to bed really late at night (or should I say morning...).
I love the dawn, it's so quiet and peaceful but... then I need to sleep and while my favourite hour of the day it's about 10 am, I'm sleeping at that time and then I feel lazy, unproductive and a really bad person and it seems I won't do nothing of the rest of the day. So... I've tried before to change my bedtime routine and it worked when I really needed to get up early like when I was working around 9am or when my yoga classes were at 8am and in those days I had to get up around 6:30/7:30am. Of course I had to go to bed earlier, never before midnight (uhh midnight friday:P) but still it was early on my standards.The problem arises when you know you don't HAVE to get up early, when there's nothing waiting for you. But then I read an article about it and suddenly I felt an urge to try to change my bedtime routines again. Here's an excerpt:

"Now, let me first say that if you are a night owl, and that works for you, I think that’s great. There’s no reason to change, especially if you’re happy with it. But for me, switching from being a night owl to an early riser (and yes, it is possible) has been a godsend. It has helped me in so many ways that I’d never go back. Here are just a few:
  1. Greet the day. I love being able to get up, and greet a wonderful new day. I suggest creating a morning ritual that includes saying thanks for your blessings. I’m inspired by the Dalai Lama, who said, ” Everyday, think as you wake up, ‘today I am fortunate to have woken up, I am alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others, to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings, I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others, I am going to benefit others as much as I can.’ “
  2. Amazing start. I used to start my day by jumping out of bed, late as usual, and rushing to get myself and the kids ready, and rushing to drop them to school and come in to work late. I would walk into work, looking rumpled and barely awake, grumpy and behind everyone else. Not a great start to your day. Now, I have a renewing morning ritual, I’ve gotten so much done before 8 a.m., my kids are early and so am I, and by the time everyone else gets in to work, I’ve already gotten a head start. There is no better way to start off your day than to wake early, in my experience."
Read the rest of the article at Zen Habits
Image via weheartit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weeee!!! A new comment:D